Saturday, September 1, 2012

An on Campus Job

I have been recently accepted for an on campus job this semester. My job will be to write and assist students use an in-house engine developed at Digipen Institute of Technology (the engine needs a lot more work before we roll it out to the public, So I wont go into specifics).

Last year our class was thrown this engine (which was and still is actively in development). We were tasked with learning it as well as Python 3.2 (being told this at the start of the semester). Through talking with professors and the programming team I was able to get a jump on the engine and learn some of its basic ins and outs and have been steadily accumulating knowledge ever since.

An internal Wiki was also set up which I have written the roughly half of the content for (I was the primary contributor and essentially used as a engine consultant by students using the engine). I'm actually replacing a previous TA for the engine (he's not pursuing the job anymore).

This experience has taught me that I enjoy not only helping others and learning game engines, but also trying to find the 'Zen' or sort of internal work-flow the engine expects of the user. This has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me and in addition to all the engaging challenges of game design I'm excited to learn some new engines and develop, test, and refine games with them.